Tuesday, April 20, 2010

She's just too doggone nice...

Original CL Post:
My name is Kristin and I love dogs! I’ve been providing professional care for dogs in my home for over 3 years.At this time I can only watch small dogs under 35 pound and 2 at the same time. My idea of care doesn’t involve cages and the occasional walk. We have private pouch that our guest loves. At Kristin's it a unique cage-free environment where dogs get to be dogs. I provides endless opportunity for dogs to burn off energy, play with friends all day long. Inside are comfy dog beds and couches to curl up on to nap during the day and sleep at night. A wide variety of friendly and balanced dog guests provide great companionship and socialization. Dogs are pack animals who thrive best in the company of other dogs and humans. At Kristin's dogs aren’t locked away alone in cages and exercised once or twice a day. Here they live in a family environment where they’re able to get plenty of exercise, play, and affection. Dogs thrive best when kept on a consistent diet. To keep your dog’s tummy healthy, I ask that you provide me with the food that your dog normally eats for his stay here. I am happy to administer any medications.

My response to Kristen:
Dear Kristen,
My wife and I are going to be leaving for a lengthy trip and are looking for someone to care for our dog. She is elderly, very sweet, and not too much of a nuisance. We live in the Mandarin area so that would be quite convenient. I just have some basic questions, and then you may ask any questions you have of us (I'd offer to call but my wife is pretty jealous and at least this way I can prove that there were NO sexual undertones pertaining to this situation).

1. What is the oldest dog you have cared for?
2. Do you have any children?
3. What vet do you use in case of emergencies?
4. Have you ever handled a blind dog before?

Aggie is about 25 lbs, btw.

Thanks,
Jake Dimsmore

Kristen to Me:
Hello,
Jacob
Well my baby is 10 years old.So i have a senior dog.Her name is sasha is a little Pomeranian.No children at this time.Just me and my husband.I work from home so here all day and sunbeam vet is next door.Yes i work with old dog and newborn animal.I work a pet shop and been a grooming for a 2 years.please feel free to ask me anything else.Hope to hear from you soon
Kristin

Me to Kristen
Kristen,
Ok, I'm relieved that you don't have kids- I didn't want to come out and say it, but Aggie hates children with a passion. That's part of the reason we moved to Florida, we had a couple of incidents in North Carolina. So that's no problem. Aggie is blind, and for the most part, does NOT like to be bothered. If she growls, she means business. She needs a bath every other day (she gets pretty stinky in her old age; well, that and she's a gassy girl), and needs to be combed out after. As long as you sing to her while you're combing her hair, she tends to allow it. She likes most children's songs, but as long as it isn't Britney Spears or the Lady singer who sings Poker face, you're fine. She hates those two especially. She eats twice a day, and takes 3 pills in the morning (mostly for her arthritis) and 2 in the evening (to stimulate her bowels). She goes to bed PRECISELY at 9 pm. We usually read to her for 5-10 minutes, then tuck her in with her "blanky", and she's out like a light. She doesn't need walks because her feet and hips get sore, but she still likes to show off her tricks, so we do that several times a day with her to keep up her self-confidence and sense of worth. She hates loud noises, so please refrain from that as much as possible. She hates when you shut the door if she's nearby (it hurts her feelings), so please be aware of that. Besides that, she really is easy because she minds her business. If she throws up her food, you might want to add some milk to it, or blend it up, that helps. Any questions from your end? It would be for about 10 days. How much do you charge for that period of time?

Jake

Kristen to me:
Hello

Well I think she would fit in here perfect.It's very quite here.My dogs are very lay back and we have back pouch to hang out on.That is so super cute that sing and read to her my husband loves read to me,he would love to reading to her.Do you know when it will be when you need to leave her and it's $25 a night but be for 10 days.I think we can may a little bit cheap on you.$175 for all 10 days let me know if this in your price range.

Kristin

Me to Kristin:
Kristen,
We’re leaving from May 1st-10th, and going on an Alaskan cruise. We won’t be able to check in, which brings me to my next couple of issues. I would greatly appreciate it if I leave my video camera with you and you could video tape some time spent with Aggie. It would really just ease my wife’s nerves- she’s always afraid that Aggie will suffer post-traumatic stress if we leave her, thus our first trip together since we got married 8 years ago. The other thing is obviously Aggie, at the age of 17, is near the end of her rope. We’ve got to face the facts. It is essential that if Aggie passes while we're gone, that you give her a proper funeral, following our guidelines. You, as a dog owner, can only imagine how important that is. We'll leave "emergency money" of course, but I absolutely have to know that you'll give her the very detailed, proper funeral that she deserves if the need arises. This too, would be videotaped. Our friend Karen will probably stop by your house once or twice a day just to make sure everything is ok. I'm glad to hear that your husband enjoys reading, that took a major load off my mind. We really need this trip, we haven't had sex in about 14 months because my wife is scared that Aggie will feel jealous of our affections (and of course, we can't close the door). I am looking forward to going to town on the missus and I am so relieved that you are willing to handle these issues. We have her funeral planned out, and the only thing we'd change in your circumstance is that you wouldn't actually put her in the ground, unless it's right after we leave, then we can dig her up, but otherwise, you can just keep her in her coffin somewhere outside so the smell doesn't bother her. We'll make it an even $200 for your kindness.

Thanks,
Jake

***Attached Aggie's Funeral instructions***

Agatha McDoggerson Dimsmore
June 14, 1993-
1. Aggie is to be bathed and brushed carefully after her death.
2. Take off collar and tie yellow bow around her neck.
3. Wrap in her favorite blanky and place in custom made cherry finished dog coffin.
4. Say “Knowing” prayer:
a. Knowing
If I had known that on that day our time was near the end
I would have done things differently, my forever friend.
I would have stayed right next to you deep into the night
but I thought I'd see you in the early morning light.

And so I said "Good night" to you as I walked in through the door
never thinking of the time when I'd see you no more.
But if I had known that on that day our time was at the end
I would have done things so differently, my forever friend.


Written by Sally Evans for Shoo-Fly
5. Say “A Dog for Jesus” prayer
a. A Dog for Jesus
(Where dogs go when they die)

I wish someone had given Jesus a dog.
As loyal and loving as mine.
To sleep by His manger and gaze in His eyes
And adore Him for being divine.

As our Lord grew to manhood His faithful dog,
Would have followed Him all through the day.
While He preached to the crowds and made the sick well
And knelt in the garden to pray.
It is sad to remember that Christ went away.
To face death alone and apart.
With no tender dog following close behind,
To comfort its Master's Heart.
And when Jesus rose on that Easter morn,
How happy He would have been,
As His dog kissed His hand and barked it's delight,
For The One who died for all men.

Well, the Lord has a dog now, I just sent Him mine,
The old pal so dear to me.
And I smile through my tears on this first day alone,
Knowing they're in eternity.
Day after day, the whole day through,
Wherever my road inclined,
Four feet said, "Wait, I'm coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Rudyard Kipling
6. Sing “Amazing Grace”.
7. 1 minute of silence for each year of Aggie’s life.
8. Put in CD: 1st song “ My Heart will go on”. Reflect quietly.
9. 2nd song: play while lowering her casket into the ground. (trumpet taps). Afterwards, throw flowers (lilies preferably) on her casket before covering with dirt.

Me to Kristen:
And you know Kristen, to be honest, I know no one wants to be around a dead beloved pet, but it might be easier on my wife if Aggie goes while we're gone. So, if you notice signs of death, just let her go. Don't call the vet unless it's an emergency in the sense of a broken limb. If she's on her way out, do not rescusitate. I will sign papers if that helps, so you can't be held accountable for not saving her.

JD

Me to Kristen:

Kristen,
Never did hear back from you. I'd like to come by next week to sign the paperwork and get info for a background check. When's a good day/time for you?

Thanks,
Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment